The results of numerous studies carried out in different countries of the world indicate that only a small part of information can be conveyed by words. The remaining share is accounted for by gestures, facial expressions, intonation. Psychology describes body and body language as a rational way of conveying information. After all, if a person is lying in words, the body can “betray” him. And it happens involuntarily. As a result, the interlocutor, having mastered the skill of recognizing the truth and lies, will not have difficulty “to see through” him.
What is the gesture talking about?
The mind can easily control the behavior of the body. But if emotions prevail over common sense, keeping your own state under control is problematic. Having this or that experience, a person begins to gesticulate. For example, if it’s freezing outside, he behaves inhibited – crosses his arms over his chest, tries to warm up. This is an attempt to protect him from undesirable circumstances, in this case – from the cold.
When studying sign language, psychology advises to pay attention to the environment: if there are no factors that make you judge the situation in two ways, it will not be difficult to find out the truth or recognize a lie. There are several basic gestures that help to reveal the intentions and even feelings of a person:
- gestures with open palms, which are directed upward, indicate a desire to gain confidence;
- the connection of the fingers of both hands under the chin indicates the desire to open up to the interlocutor;
- nervous massaging of the upper body, for example, the chin or neck, indicates a threat, as well as tension in the arms, distracted behavior in attempts to avoid a conflict situation;
- if the hands are tightly pressed to the sides, this indicates distrust on the part of the interlocutor, and in order to conquer him, you will have to make a lot of efforts;
- if a woman, in communication with a representative of the stronger sex, often corrects her hair and makeup, and also begins to walk seductively, easily swaying her hips, this indicates her interest in him as in a man;
- fiddling with a foreign object that has nothing to do with the dialogue, searching for non-existent objects in a bag or wallet – all this demonstrates the interlocutor’s desire to end the conversation as quickly as possible and go about his business – this is what the psychology of gestures says;
- stomping from place to place, yawning, bowing of the head on hand means the absence of any interest, as well as attempts to concentrate attention on a foreign object;
- a negative directed at the interlocutor or any object is characterized by closing the hands behind the back and excessive tension of the lower extremities;
- a key sign of interest is a lean forward, he also speaks of friendliness, a desire to continue the relationship;
- a defensive reaction and an unwillingness to quarrel is emphasized by crossed limbs – both arms and legs;
- if the interlocutor’s fists are clenched, this indicates his readiness to be aggressive – to engage in a fight.
The psychology of gestures and facial expressions has a lot of features that should be taken into account and taken into account.
Facial expressions: psychology
In order to have a complete understanding of the motives of the behavior of an individual, it is recommended to study such a direction as the psychology of facial expressions. After all, these techniques will also allow you to learn a lot about the feelings and intentions of a person, and to do this with maximum accuracy. The main signals are as follows:
- it will not be difficult to recognize fear and fear based on wide open eyes and raised eyelids, eyebrows;
- a fairly wide smile testifies to the state of pleasure and joy, while the nostrils are most often dilated;
- the main signs of anger consist in the “convergence” of the eyebrows in the region of the nose, as well as in the tight closing of the lips, often they are highlighted in one straight line;
- a sad state is indicated by a look that does not express any emotions, most often the eyes and the corners of the lips are lowered;
- during disgust, the upper lip tenses slightly and, as it were, rises up, the eyebrows converge in one area on the bridge of the nose, and wrinkles form on the nose;
- in bewilderment, the eyes become round, and with great surprise, they bulge, the lips form the letter “O”, and the eyebrows become like “houses”.
In fact, the psychology of human behavior – facial expressions and gestures – is more extensive. And above were given to all the signals that allow you to recognize the individual’s state of mind on their own. But you can turn to specialized literature, in which all these issues are considered narrowly and in detail. The fact is that hand gestures and their significance in psychology are underestimated, and there is also not enough information in the pictures.
Books on the psychology of gestures and human facial expressions are plentiful and must-read for those wishing to master body language at a high level. You should start with simple lessons, and then gradually move on to more complex workshops. An important role is played by a thorough analysis of the information received at all stages of training and the development of theory in practice. In good books about body language and sign language, as well as about psychology, all important information is presented in pictures.
Ways to recognize lies
The psychology of human facial expressions and gestures is a subtle science that allows not only to receive information about his current state, but also to analyze it, drawing appropriate conclusions, and also to recognize whether he is telling the truth or lying. This skill will be useful to everyone who communicates a lot with different people for work or for pleasure.
No person can lie without blushing, scratching their nose, or blinking. Even if the words are false, the body will not lie, and all this will happen involuntarily. After all, not a single person is capable of controlling facial expressions and gestures, unless, of course, he is a subtle psychologist. Therefore, having studied these nuances, you can timely identify deception and respond to it correctly.
According to general psychology of body language, there are several signals that unambiguously indicate a lie. They are objective, since they have been studied for a long time:
- after the liar says something, he covers his lips with his hand;
- the liar most often swallows saliva very loudly;
- sometimes he starts to cough;
- the skin takes on a different shade – pale or red, and sometimes even becomes spotty;
- lips become crooked, as if folding into a smile;
- the look becomes indistinct, blurred, constantly glides or squints;
- the interlocutor does not look into the eyes, and if you try to do it yourself, he will start blinking a lot and often;
- breathing becomes difficult, heavy, in perfect silence you can even hear it.
In the psychology of signs, the language of gestures and facial expressions will allow you to “bring the interlocutor to clean water” and draw conclusions about his intentions in a timely manner. This will allow an individual with such a skill to avoid deception and remain vigilant.
In psychology, hand gestures and their meaning play an important role, as do facial expressions. The fact is that every movement is fraught with hidden signs, having solved which, you can prevent deception and the unpleasant consequences associated with it. A person who knows the language of body and sign, the psychology of women and men, can even prevent quarrels and conflicts.
IMPORTANT! Informational article! Before use, you must consult with a specialist.