Behavioral and gestural personality psychology is a whole skill, a scientific field that explains non-verbal ways of assessing a person. In the process of communication, his image is composed mainly of external manifestations – only 30% of the data about the interlocutor is acquired from direct conversation. Human psychology in behavior and gestures associates this phenomenon with the unconscious consideration of the interlocutor, creating a positive or negative impression about him.
Behavioral Psychology Research
The appearance, habits of a person can tell about his social status, actions, gestures – about his profession, position, disposition.
The psychology of behavior is based on the relationship of the individual to the environment. It includes an assessment of movement, a set of bodily responses to external stimuli, changes. That is, behavior is a manifestation of the mental aspect of a person s state through physiological phenomena. It is regulated by the consciousness that characterizes the individual s worldview.
The skill of reading people
The psychology of human behavior is the science that studies the speech of the body. The discipline has taken a huge leap in shaping together with the advances in psychology today. It is known as a method for studying the correlation of body and soul.
How to understand a person by his behavior?
Body speech research is publicly available. There is no need for special training – today it is possible to read online books on human psychology on behavior and gestures for free.
Let us analyze the tendencies according to which the consideration of the interlocutor s behavior is carried out.
A person who focuses on his own appearance, looking like “from the picture”, often seeks to assert himself, to hide his own indecision through style. It can also mean excessive accuracy, thoroughness.
A bright, too unique, sophisticated appearance testifies to a creative, artistic personality. But excessive sloppiness can speak not so much about artistry as about a tendency to slovenliness.
Pastel, calm colors are chosen by balanced personalities. Colorful tones are typical for emotional people.
The behavior of a person in the environment provides the possibility of making assumptions about his decisions and actions. Often, people who maintain a distance at the source of communication reduce it in the process of rapprochement. In the absence of changes in the relationship, one can judge the absence of sympathy between them, therefore, the impossibility of further cohesion.
To work out your own fears, phobias, self-doubt, we recommend contacting a specialist, for example, Nikita Valerievich Baturin.
How to understand a person by his behavior? Psychology points to a number of manners:
- Frequent attempts to close the distance (gaze, touch). These gestures are typical of cocky, hostile people who prefer to set their own rules.
- The physical shortening of the distance, the preference for conflicting, personal topics in the conversation reveals intrusiveness in the person.
- Avoidance of visual contact, expressions of emotion, touch, indecisive behavior – people who want to hide from the outside world tend to such manners. For them, clothing that hides part of the face is often typical.
- Relaxed, free body positions, gait indicate indiscipline of the person, the desire to deviate from generally accepted behavioral standards.
- Intermittent speech, redness – these are the properties of an unstable, indecisive person. Nervous attempts to assume a comfortable position are criteria for anxiety in a particular situation.
- Dramatic positions indicate a desire to attract attention. A wide gait, gestures made speak of increased self-esteem, narcissism. This behavior is typical of creative individuals, people with a masterful foundation.
- Clear, purposeful movements indicate a calculating personality, the ability to hide emotions. These properties are characteristic of thrifty people. They are possessed by entrepreneurs and politicians.
- Erratic movements characterize an irritable personality. Useless motor skills (turning the handle, fingering various objects in the hands) is a characteristic characteristic of nervous people.
- Calm movements inform about the absence of a tendency to conflict, plasticity of disposition. In combination with emotionality, this behavior indicates carelessness. Gentle gestures communicate self-control ability.
The psychology of human behavior also includes posture. It is important to pay attention to the following factors:
- Slouch. This is the criterion of obedience, powerlessness. Raised shoulders indicate feelings of inadequacy.
- Elevated position of the head, possibly tilted back. This attitude shows arrogance. Simultaneously with her chest pushed forward, she speaks of ambition, pride.
- Muscle tension, inactivity. This is a criterion for the lack of the ability to communicate freely with people, the desire to separate from reality. This position, according to the psychology of behavior, is characteristic of a person suffering from social phobia.
- Relaxation combined with restraint. These manners are typical of a person with self-esteem.
This is the primary component of communication, a generally accepted communication model, popular mainly among the stronger sex. The greeting sign often defines the relationship between the interlocutors:
- vigorous handshake – activity, sociability, pleasure from the meeting;
- handshake upside down – willingness to communicate, trust;
- handshake down with the palm – isolation; while bending the elbow, such a greeting speaks of cruelty, duplicity;
- handshake with the hand pointing down – authority, a tendency to dominate;
- weak handshake – inaction, indecision;
- clumsiness when shaking hands – shyness.
The position of the hands in the psychology of human behavior:
- crossing in front – defensive reaction, unwillingness to prolong the conversation;
- behind the back – a difficult circumstance;
- fists – assertiveness, desire for self-affirmation;
- frequent touching of the face – the desire to conceal the state of mind, to hide specific facts;
- in pockets – secrecy; with sleeves rolled up at the same time – a tendency to conflict, readiness for sudden tasks;
- friction of the bridge of the nose – reflections, assessment;
- tapping on the table, clicking with a pen – boredom, thoughtfulness.
Behavior is a factor in psychology that also includes a person s facial expression, facial expressions that express mood:
- Mouth. Lowered corners are a criterion for pessimism, indignation. At the same time, compressed lips in human psychology by behavior indicate a firmness of disposition, an unwillingness to follow compromises. Relaxed lips reveal passivity, weakness.
- Sight. Above – decisiveness, viciousness, from below – subordination, servility. Long lasting – the demand for obedience, running – a tendency to lie, fear.
- Laugh. This is another point of human psychology and behavior. Light-hearted laughter is characteristic of a natural, open personality; the strangled one speaks of hostility. Giggling betrays the desire to arouse interest in one s own person, self-praise, hypocrisy.
Speech, the manner of speaking is directly associated with the transfer of information, determines the sensory state of the individual. Often a person is judged not by the content, but by the manner of speaking. The emotionality of expressions, speed, loudness of speech are taken into account:
- Restraint, prudence, an analytical mindset characterizes the uniformity of speech, moderate volume.
- Rapid pronunciation of phrases, variable volume is a criterion for impulsivity.
- Increased calmness is typical of a person who wants to hide emotions.
- Deficiency of emotionality, low volume of speech is a manifestation of a loss of interest in the conversation.
Today, deception has become an essential component of human communication. There are also a number of works in the literature dealing with the topic of lying in the psychology of human behavior. You can read them both in the classic version and online.
There are methods to determine a person who wants to deceive, to misinterpret a circumstance. Typical manners of a liar include:
- Frequent changes in body position, coughing, touching the nose, other parts of the body, distraction aimed at getting time to come up with the “correct” answer.
- Hiding eyes (also typical for an insecure person), glancing past the interlocutor, frequent blinking.
- A taut, unnatural smile, facial muscle tension.
10 fascinating psychological facts
Constant discoveries make it possible to apply the latest methods to assess the character of a person through external manifestations.
- A tired person is more prone to honest answers.
- A tired person is more prone to creative activities.
- A new phobia has appeared in the modern world – the fear of losing cellular communication (nomophobia), in which the loss of a phone can provoke an attack of a panic attack.
- Conversation in a foreign language promotes consistency, ordering of thoughts.
- Sitting on a hard chair leads to intractability, coldness.
- The feeling of observation causes restraint, accuracy in behavior (it does not matter whether it is real or not).
- A bored individual is more likely to do good things.
- People who tell lies get tired faster.
- A well-mannered liar has a great chance of trusting the other person.
- Often times, inaction creates feelings of guilt. On the contrary, being busy provides a sense of well-being.
Behavioral Psychology Books
The following works will help to find solutions to the problems that have arisen, to evaluate the behavior of people around.
- R. Cialdini, “The Psychology of Influence. Convince. Take action. Protect yourself. ” The book has collected 6 basic foundations of behavior. This book about human psychology in behavior and gestures can be read online or in the classic version.
- T. Seelig, “Do It Yourself. Tips for those who want to leave their mark. ” Challenges that arise are incentives to move forward further. So says the author of this book.
- S. Covey, Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. A guide aimed at learning how to manage your own life.
- D. Myers, “Games People Play. People who play games”. Another guide to the study of behavioral psychology.
- M. Goulston, Mental Traps at Work. This book on the psychology of human behavior and gestures provides information that reveals the concept of mental traps, indicates ways to eliminate them within the framework of communication.
Understanding behavioral psychology is the key to understanding the interlocutor. In addition, knowing this direction helps to hide your own emotions by controlling behavior. Research into the psychology of deception helps to reveal duplicity, lies, and not to be manipulated.
IMPORTANT! Informational article! Before use, you must consult with a specialist.