Fears are part of the protective function of the psyche, are involved in the processes of self-preservation. Pathological conditions paralyze consciousness, making it difficult to concentrate. How to get rid of fear and anxiety, psychology will answer, providing a whole list of effective tools. The techniques allow you to find peace of mind, teach you how to control the psycho-emotional state.
Causes of occurrence
The fight against fear in psychology begins with a search for the primary sources of anxiety. It is also worth dealing with the peculiarities of pathology, fear and anxiety are unequal emotions. Anxiety can occur for no specific reason, the feeling of anxiety often does not disrupt the usual rhythm of life. A feeling that is shallow in terms of emotional intensity is easier to replace with positive thoughts, restoring mental balance.
Reasons for anxiety:
- worry about relatives, friends;
- incomplete information, lack of facts, gives rise to speculation;
- untreated child psychotrauma;
- frequent stress, lack of proper rest;
- hormonal imbalance, endocrine system diseases;
- features of temperament – a pessimistic way of thinking;
- disorganization of lifestyle – bad habits, unhealthy diet, lack of sports, hobbies;
- the upcoming forced changes in life – moving, changing the field of activity, marital status;
- unpredictable life circumstances.
Anxiety appears for no apparent reason. A person has mental discomfort that develops into anxiety. He himself cannot trace the cause-and-effect relationship of a destructive state. There are characteristic symptoms of anxiety. The impulses sent by the brain change human behavior. Literally not sitting still, making phone calls, trying to leave. The physiological indicators of the body change, it is easy to identify anxiety by them:
- heartbeat increases;
- there is a lack of air, attacks of suffocation;
- insomnia, biological rhythms of activity, rest are disrupted;
- lack of appetite;
- apathy, depression.
A protracted state leads to neuroses, mental disorders, requiring supervision by a specialist.
Fear is not always a negative state, its manifestation depends on the psychotype of a person. Can serve as an incentive for action, motivating to leave the comfort zone. In such cases, it opens up new opportunities for reaching noticeable heights. The threat in the form of fear will become an impetus for the struggle, gaining confidence in oneself and one’s actions.
Fear can lead to complete maladjustment, a person enters a state of panic, loses self-control. The influence of emotions depends on the type of nervous system, temperament, and the level of stress resistance.
- contact with a phenomenon that poses a real or contrived threat;
- psychological trauma;
- features of the nervous system – suspiciousness, sensitivity;
- a real situation that poses a danger to life and health.
Why are fear and anxiety dangerous?
Psychology answers the question of how to deal with anxiety and anxiety. It is worth identifying pathological conditions that require correction. If the anxiety is caused by a real threat, the psycho-emotional state will recover after a while. For strong-willed strong personalities, this is a great opportunity to expand opportunities, test yourself. When the cause of fear disappears, the person returns to his usual comfortable life, mental balance. Normally, the condition does not last long, it is a fleeting impulse that does not affect the physical condition, the usual way of life.
The occurrence of anxiety without visible external factors is considered a deviation from the norm. Changes in the psycho-emotional state, increased sensitivity, irritability are the result of groundless fears. Unconsciously, a person expects bad news, avoids contact with people. For a long time, it can be in a state of panic, which has the properties of increasing over time. Emotional stress manifests itself at the physical level. Symptoms of a panic attack are manifested in the form of tremors of the hands and the whole body. The pulse becomes more frequent, breathing becomes disordered, heat exchange is disturbed – it can throw it into the heat, then into the cold. Physiological processes change, prolonged stay leads to the development of nervous diseases. Anxiety, panic states provoke psychosomatic pathologies. Therefore, before starting treatment, you need to deal with your inner fears and experiences.
There is a definite predisposition to phobias. Energetic, cheerful people have a more stable nervous system. Melancholic individuals are prone to the appearance of causeless anxiety. But, regardless of temperament, you can and should work with fears. Otherwise, it is difficult to realize the natural potential, being constantly experiencing anxiety.
How to deal with your fears: advice from a psychologist
If anxiety turns into an obsessive state, you should contact a specialist. You can do it yourself, following the advice of a professional.
How to overcome fears and anxiety – advice from a psychologist:
- In psychology, before learning how to deal with fear and anxiety, it is necessary to identify the causes of its occurrence. It is necessary to analyze the events preceding the appearance of anxiety. Complex, painstaking work requires immersion in the inner world, feeling. You can write on paper, rewinding the memory back. By rereading, it is easier to find answers to questions by defining a starting point. Fears are often not worked out childhood traumas, due to age and circumstances have remained unresolved. Perhaps the answers are hidden in family relationships, parental behavior patterns.
- Accepting yourself with fears is the first step towards healing. Acknowledging the problem helps to realistically assess the situation. Working on your own imperfections makes you feel confident. Anxiety is a tool for self-punishment. The state of a victim, a passive position becomes profitable for many. It prevents you from taking responsibility for your life by controlling the emotional state that affects the development of events.
- Looping works like a snowball. The incipient anxiety turns into a panic attack and complexes, if you endlessly wind yourself up. Consciousness shapes reality, it is important to track and control thoughts. Negative attitudes exacerbate the problem, attracting more and more fears. It is necessary to learn to think positively using various methods. Effectively apply affirmations – the regular repetition of life-affirming slogans will gradually replace negative attitudes. Reconsider relationships with others, whether there are any abuser among them. It is recommended that you associate with positive, energetic people until the fear is completely eliminated.
- In psychology, preventive methods are also used to get rid of fear and anxiety. Increase stress resistance, take care of your psychological health. To normalize the processes of excitability and inhibition, it is necessary to learn how to relax. Introduce yourself the daily rituals of “harmony and tranquility.” You can do yoga, take a relaxing bath, practice aromatherapy, or take a massage course. Walks in nature, sports, spiritual practices are useful. Good results are obtained by an integrated approach to influencing the mental and physiological state.
- Practical psychology can tell you how to deal with fears within yourself. You need to choose the right interlocutor who will not only listen, but also support you on the way to getting rid of your worries. Sometimes it’s enough to say it out, and the problem no longer seems significant. It is important not to be alone, plunging into a destructive state. By enlisting the support of loved ones, you can speed up the process of restoring your state of mind. Seeking psychological help, you can not only deal with anxiety, but also learn to build relationships with the world around you.
- Keeping a diary helps in dealing with fears. It is necessary to record all events, record panic attacks. This makes it easier to trace the cause-and-effect relationships in order to work with provoking factors in the future, rather than the consequences. Letters of support are effective, use words of encouragement, admiration, to build self-confidence.
- The psychology of fear is often associated with physiological processes, in order to get rid of it, you need to smile. If the depressed state forms a sad expression, laughter, on the other hand, triggers reactions that release the general tension. It is recommended not only to smile daily, but also to surround yourself with positive events. For pastime, choose funny, noisy companies, read motivating literature. Emotional control begins with a planned daily routine, in which there is no place for sadness and sadness.
- Counseling from a psychologist will certainly help you deal with anxiety and anxiety. But the specialist only gives the tools, the main work will have to be done independently. You need to fill your day as much as possible by writing an hourly schedule. Work, sports, cleaning, be sure to add nice items – hobbies and entertainment. Compliance with the schedule will help to avoid self-delusion, apathy, depression. It will be possible to quickly cope with the anxiety that has arisen, because you still need to take the dog for a walk, buy a new dress and watch the Oscar-winning premiere.
- It is necessary to learn how to experience emotions, both positive and negative. Allowing yourself to laugh, cry, be afraid, you can relieve inner tension, get rid of complexes. Accepting yourself with all the “right” and “wrong” feelings will give you peace of mind. If you push yourself into the box, in accordance with generally accepted norms, it is difficult to realize your own potential. To reveal the inner Self, you can use writing, art therapy, dancing.
- The “script writing” method of psychology allows you to get rid of both anxiety and fear. A person immerses himself in his own experiences, meets with a phobia. From this point, he takes control of the situation and thinks over the further development of events. But this time with a positive ending. It is important to detail the pictures as much as possible, making them realistic, imagining all the events. The immersion session leaves a positive impression, as if after watching a good movie.
Diet also matters, as magnesium deficiency leads to a decrease in stress resistance. Enriching the menu with legumes, potatoes, beets, nuts and seeds can improve the state of the nervous system. You should exclude tonic products – coffee, black tea, confectionery, dishes with a high content of spices. To restore the processes of regulation of excitation and inhibition, herbal preparations, honey are useful. They help relieve stress, normalize sleep, and increase energy resources.
How to get rid of the fear of illness: advice from a psychologist
If you cannot cope with the situation on your own, you should contact a professional. Otherwise, anxiety for your health can turn into a real illness. Psychological therapy will help get rid of the obsessive state, often accompanied by insomnia, nightmares. Working with alarms takes place in several stages:
- Identification of the cause of concern – a detailed survey is carried out. Studied childhood, relationships in the family, with parents, peers.
- Having identified a psychotraumatic event, the psychologist forms a new attitude. Provides practical guidance for dealing with negative thoughts.
- With difficult identification of the cause, the specialist can use hypnosis to immerse in the subconscious. During the sessions, you can get rid of fears by formulating a positive development of events.
- Throughout the therapy, the patient is confronted with his phobias. But the support and advice of a psychologist helps to cope with the growing stress. She undergoes training in dealing with stressful situations, learns to control emotions.
IMPORTANT! Informational article! Before use, you must consult with a specialist.